Type to search

Intermittent Fasting Diet Plan for Lean Muscle

Muscle Coach Diet Plans

At Muscle Coach we recognise that one size does not fit all. Therefore we have formulated multiple variations of each diet depending on your weight. When choosing a diet plan based on your body weight it can be better you choose one based on your lean body mass rather than your actual body weight.

Click on the link to the diet plan that best suits your weight!

Save a copy of your PDF diet plan and share it with your friends!

Intermittent Fasting Overview

Intermittent fasting has been rapidly gaining popularity because it provides an effective method of dieting that is suitable for even the busiest of schedules. There are many variations of the intermittent fasting diet available on the internet but it can be difficult to find good information to understand the finer details when it comes to building lean muscle rather than simply trying to burn fat. Unfortunately intermittent fasting is still in its infancy and as such scientific research is well behind the demand for information. However there is a large and rapidly growing amount of testimonial and anecdotal evidence that provides a solid basis to understand how to make intermittent fasting work for you.


  • No more time consuming 6-8 meal preparation
  • No breakfast, start your day faster
  • No regular interruptions to eat every 2-3 hours
  • Enjoy your meals, not forcing down the same bland food all day
What is Intermittent Fasting?

Intermittent fasting is not actually a diet so much as it is a dieting technique or a lifestyle. This is because intermittent fasting does very little to nothing when it comes to explaining exactly what foods you should eat. It does however specify a totally different and radical view on exactly when you should be eating. Therefore it is possible to incorporate intermittent fasting with other dieting philosophies. Enough beating around the bush. Intermittent fasting requires that you fast about 16-19 hours every day and consume all your calories for the day in a 5-8 hour time frame usually around your training time. The general consensus would be that you should consume about 20% of you calories 1-2 hours before training and then the remaining 80% within about 3-5 hours after training. However other variations recommend training fasted to maximise fat loss.


To Train Fasted or Not to Train Fasted

While all advocates of intermittent fasting for the purposes of lean muscle building can all agree on eating in a 5-8 hour time frame, the best time for this eating window remains a point of dispute. The reason for this is largely based on the fact that different people have different goals. If your goal is to build lean muscle mass but you would place a higher importance on being lean than building muscle then typically training fasted will yield better results. If you are trying to build lean muscle mass but place more emphasis on improving strength and muscle size then having a pre-workout meal is the better option. It is important to note that regardless of whether you decide to have your first meal before your training session or have all your food directly after training or even have all your food 3-4 hours after training you can still expect to decrease body fat and build muscle mass.


How Much Food and What Do I Eat?

Intermittent fasting is a license to binge, not a license to eat junk food. Your calorie intake should be the same as what is typically required for you to either lose, maintain or gain weight depending on your goal. Just because you are eating in a smaller time frame does not mean that you are consuming any more or less food or total calories. The foods that you eat should be fairly typical of what you would eat on a regular diet plan with 5-8 meals. Below is a sample layout of an intermittent fasting diet plan while training in the afternoon.

  • 2:00pm – 50g protein, 50g carbs, 10g fats
  • 5:00pm – 100g protein, 150g carbs, 5g fats
  • 7:00pm – 100g protein, 10g carbs, 50g fats
  • 9:00pm – 30g protein, 5g carbs, 20g fats

As you can see protein is high in all meals but you need to place more emphasis on carb intake around training times and then more emphasis on dietary fat intake in the other meals. Below is a list of foods that you should be eating at certain times.

Protein Sources – Training Times
  • Chicken
  • Tuna
  • Fish
  • Kangaroo
  • Protein Powder
Protein Sources – Non-Training Times
  • Beef Steak
  • Mince
  • Pork
  • Sausages


Carbohydrate Sources – Training Times
  • Maltodextrin
  • Pasta
  • Rice
  • Bread
  • Potato
Carbohydrate Sources – Non-Training Times
  • Fibrous Vegetables
  • As minimal as possible


Fat Sources – Training Times
  • Peanut Butter (small amounts)
  • As minimal as possible
Fat Sources – Non-Training Times
  • Almonds
  • Coconut Oil
  • Avocado
  • Peanut Butter
  • Red Meat


Back to All

Your Cart

No products in the cart.