The three pillars in building lean muscle are without a doubt training, nutrition and rest. Even though it’s not focused on as much as the first two elements, the sleeping aspect is just as important as nutrition and training. With sleep deprivation leading to unwanted side effects such as insulin resistance, increased fat and muscle breakdown, getting good quality sleep could be the overlooked factor that could take your physique to the next level. With so much emphasis being put on recovery these days, there’s no shortage of supplements available to ensure you’re sleeping just as hard as you train! When searching for the right sleep aid for you, be sure to consider products which include some of the following ingredients:
- Phenibut: mainly used as an effective anti-anxiety & sleeping aid. It is well documented that phenibut improves sleep quality and duration as well as having a calming effect that is not a result of sedative effects. Such calming and improved sleep allows for an increase in growth hormone secretion during periods of deep sleep.
- GABA: a chemical that naturally occurs in our brain. It promotes relaxation, reduces anxiety, promotes deeper sleep and also helps boost growth hormone levels.
- Mucuna Pruriens: By increasing dopamine levels in your body, mucuna may help increase lean muscle mass by stimulating human growth hormone production. Due to the increase in dopamine levels users may notice an improvement in their ability to get to sleep.
- Korean Kimchi extract: A natural source of GABA which causes a calming effect in the body while helping to regulate your body’s internal rhythm. Also aids in deep restful sleep further increasing GH levels and recovery.
- ZMA: Typically marketed as a testosterone booster, strength enhancer and sleep aid, ZMA contains B6 which plays a role in the metabolism of protein. It also affects the conversion of tryptophan to serotonin and melatonin, which can promote healthy sleep.
- L-Phenylalanine: A natural muscle relaxer and sleep aid.
The above can generally be purchased as single ingredients or as part of reinforced sleep aid formulas such as GH REM by APS or The Delta Zone made by BPM Labs.